Meet & Greet Monday: Peggy Sinnott
This week we are excited to introduce a new interview series! Be sure to check back every Monday for fun interviews with the Hey Cole roster! Today we are kicking off the series with Comedian Peggy Sinnott!
1) When did you realize that comedy was the right path for you?
I studied acting in college because I always wanted to perform but there was something about calling myself an “actor” that felt creepy and wrong to me. After college I’d been doing sketch comedy and improv and decided to give stand up a try. After my first show, I felt like I finally found something that I loved and suited my strengths. Calling myself a “comedian” felt right.
2) Why have you never been to Walmart? Are you prepared to go on the adventure of a lifetime with Cole in Covington, Kentucky for your debut Walmart experience?!
Haha, I’m ready! I’m from the San Francisco Bay Area where the local community has banned Walmart, so growing up I never had the opportunity to go into one. Then learning about their policies, the way employees are treated, the human cost of low prices etc., I’ve stayed away on principal.
3) What is your favorite part about performing with your sketch comedy group “Brute Squad?”
Sometimes I eat gross stuff onstage and make audiences scream.
4) Which of your jokes is your favorite to perform?
I have a joke where I pretend to be a CIA agent and yell a lot. I love shouting!
5) What does your family think of your comedy routine?
They really like it. The scariest show I ever did was in front of my grandmother because I had a couple jokes that mentioned sex. My grandma was extremely kind and gracious about the whole experience. She assured me that I wasn’t any worse than Lenny Bruce who she used to watch regularly in San Francisco.
6) Where does your inspiration for jokes come from?
I’m usually inspired to write a joke by something that bothers or upsets me. Often in the process of writing the joke I will calm down and let go of the thing that was once bothering me. #thuglife
7) What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?
My next door neighbors smoke a ton of cigarettes and I’m slowly dying of second hand smoke, lol! And the funniest part is, California law protects their rights and not mine because it’s not a non-smoking building LMFAO! My landlord is mildly sympathetic :’-DD!!!! It’s funny because, if I had the money to live in a better environment, I totally would! Hahaahaahah oh man.
8) Who are your top three favorite comedians of all time?
Chris Rock, David Cross, Wanda Sykes
9) What is it like being a woman in the world of comedy?
So far so good! I have yet to feel excluded from anything because I’m a woman. It’s also a very exciting time to be a woman in comedy because there has been so much recent success of female comedians: Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, etc. Growing up I frequently heard the phrase “men are funnier than women” but I rarely hear that anymore. I do wonder if it’s more difficult at the top of our industry (like if networks will continue to be less likely to give an equal amount of shows to female comics). I don’t believe I’ve encountered any disadvantages related to gender at this stage in my career.
10) What is something that you couldn’t live without?
HOT SAUCE. I’m not a great cook, but I make things spicy.
11) What is your spirit animal?
12) If you were locked in a mall by yourself, overnight, what would you do? And what three items would you want to make sure you had with you?
Contemplate American Consumerism. Underwear, Underwear, Underwear. Because you never know!